Saturday, August 15, 2009

"Traffic" (the book)

clipped from tomvanderbilt.com

Excerpt

Why I Became a Late Merger
(and Why You Should Too)


Why does the other lane always seem to be moving faster?


It is a question you have no doubt asked yourself while crawling down some choked highway, watching with mounting frustration as the adjacent cars glide ahead. You drum the wheel with your fingers. You change the radio station. You fixate on one car as a benchmark of your own lack of progress. You try to figure out what that weird button next to the rearwindow defroster actually does.


I used to think this was just part of the natural randomness of the highway. Sometimes fate would steer me into the faster lane, sometimes it would relinquish me to the slow lane.


That was until recently, when I had an experience that made me rethink my traditionally passive outlook on the road, and upset the careful set of assumptions that had always guided my behavior in traffic.


I made a major lifestyle change. I became a late merger.


To Read More Click Here.




No comments: